Tuesday, September 27, 2016

a Poem, another day in the life



The doctors are keeping;
   if it weren't for them ...

Doctors are keeping my generation alive
Weren't for them I'd be dead and my wife
would live her life in a wheelchair
The doctors are keeping me alive
and us a going.  The doctors are

Sometimes it's not fun growin' old
But someone's gotta do it

So we get up early and fight the traffic
Like back in those old days of work and
fighting traffic, haven't forgotten how
Held my place driving, twenty or eighty
mph the freeway goes. Jousting match

Sometimes it's not fun growin' old
But someone's gotta do it

Take our blood and chest X-rays
EKG tells no lies on me, little ones for
her.  Blood pressure's high for the Mrs.
Little low for me. No new pills this time
What we're doing must be fine. You can go

Sometimes it's not fun growin' old
But someone's gotta do it

Fasting since midnight, laxative for me
My "Peripheral Vascular Sonogram"
The lady can come back next week,
stress test (I'll fight the traffic again)
Check her Branch Bundle Block, find its cause

Sometimes it's not fun growin' old
But someone's gotta do it

Now we can eat and drink, The twelfth floor
for coffee at the outpatient admission office
pretend we belong.  Next to eat at our favorite,
Cajun food, Beans and rice Shrimp poboy
Macy's next, minutes few, look at shoes

Sometimes it is fun growin' old
And someone's gotta do it

Twenty-eight miles driving like a pro
Stopping those two times, food and shop
Traffic picked up, few minutes became ninety
Get the mail, park the car, carry the packages
TV on, chairs back, feet  up. Nap time for us
 
Doing our part. Populate the earth
Another day in the life of an older person

Sometimes it's not fun growin' old
But someone's gotta do it



_ _ _ _

Photos and Poem copyright, © 2016 Jimmiehov, All rights reserved

I'm linked with Kerry O'Connor at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Tuesday Platform, http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-tuesday-platform_27.html

The Tuesday Platform is a free day, with no prompt in particular to write for, of, or of our thoughts arousedKerry introduced us to a deceased children's writer, Roald Dahl, and to some of his works.  She marveled how prolific he was and the great mark he has left for us who follow. 

Likewise, she remarked how we who write and post here are leaving our mark on this earth, what it may be.  I would ask you to follow the link above and check him out.  After that perhaps Google him.  You probably have met up with some of his work.

Note:  The top picture was taken from my doctor's office which is on the 27th floor of the O'Brien Tower, formerly named the St. Luke's Tower.  The lower picture is of the Ragin Cajun restaurant where the best Cajun food in Houston cafes may be found (although Mrs. Jim's Red Beans and Rice are much better.  She is from Louisiana.).

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:43:00 AM, Blogger Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

It won't be long and they will keep us living Old Testament long lives.

 
At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:55:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

Ah.. yes those doctors are there so we can enjoy old age and cajun found... and of course write poetry

 
At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:20:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Vandana Sharma said...

Whole life's scene on platter....

 
At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:22:00 AM, Blogger Gel said...

You two seem to take it in stride. That's healthy! Growing older (notice not growing "old") is part of life. Doctors keep young ones alive, too. So do caring good Samaritans. Glad the checkups went well. After fasting, etc, it's good to share the lighter side of life together.

 
At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:24:00 AM, Blogger Gel said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that Roald Dahl was a superb children's writer! I heard of him, before I had children. Our kids chose to keep books by him. (Some others were donated to the library.)

 
At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:41:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I've been growing old at super-speed, it seems, since I was 20. So I'm right with you, Jim. We might always complain about the health care system (and by "we" I mean "me"), but goodness knows that without the help of some really good doctors I probably be in bed most of my days.

 
At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:12:00 AM, Blogger Stacie Eirich said...

Your poem reminds me of my parents, whose doctors appts. seem as regular as the rain. And also the tripping around, the restaurants, the keepin' on livin' -- people around here swear by their red beans & rice as one of the keys to long life (but then, you already know that)....Thanks for sharing.

 
At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

Sometimes it's not fun growin' old
But someone's gotta do it...
You said it Jim.. and those of us who follow can learn a lot about true dignity and grace in the example being set by the generations ahead of us.

 
At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:48:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Yes, someone's gotta do it. I'm with you in that. I have traveled that highway to doctors more times than I can count. We live to love another day.

 
At Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:23:00 PM, Blogger Stacy M.S. said...

Growing old isn't fun but someone's gotta do it....so very true. Though, I'd prefer it to the alternative.

Great words of truth here.

 
At Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:18:00 AM, Blogger jabblog said...

Growing old isn't for the faint-hearted, that's for sure. I enjoyed this.

 
At Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Someone's gotta do it ~~ I am thankful I am among the lucky group!

 
At Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:22:00 PM, Blogger Angie said...

I don't know what to say Jim. Godspeed seems wrong, Thanks for going before us is awful. Well, Golden Years may be a misnomer.

 
At Friday, September 30, 2016 7:36:00 PM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Super sweet poem, Jim. I think you and Mrs. Jim seem to do it very well. Take care, k.

 
At Friday, September 30, 2016 7:51:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

If you can create poetry from a visit to the doctor's office - then you are doing better than most!

 
At Thursday, October 20, 2016 12:42:00 AM, Blogger Gel said...

I am much too familiar with the ER. Was just there.( I'm ok) Was taken by ambukance yet again a few months ago. That trip required in patient stay and several weeks recuperation. Most recent trip was not via ambulance and was much less serious. yes, thank goodness for the strides in the medical profession.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home