Thursday, September 08, 2016

I Have This fear -- a poem, out of standard



I Have This Fear

I have this fear, haunts me
like a recurring dream
Though no demons visit
still it comes from within.

Fear doesn't go away
It stays and warms, I glow
Started, then I ignite
Spontaneous, combust

I fear spontaneous
combustion, evil death
'Twill be the end of me
I'm ashes in my mind
_ _ _ _

Photo and poem copyright , 2016 Jimmiehov, All rights reserved

I'm linked with Izadore Guyre in the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Out of Standard - Fire from a Different Sun.
http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2016/09/out-of-standard-fire-from-different-sun.html

Notes: 
  - The photo was taken by my son, Tim, who, as a Boatman, had just untied this ship from the dock five minutes before.  The ship, leaving the Houston Ship Channel with its cargo, struck an obstruction in the water, leaking gallons and gallons of flammable liquid.  Some how the liquid floating on top of the water caught fire.  Causes and damages are still under investigation.  No life was lost.
 - Spontaneous Combustion is the burning of a human for no apparent reason.  This was common in 18th and 19th Century literature (a list of some).   I have read Dickens' Bleak House and also some references from Twain.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_human_combustion (more information than you probably want to know there).

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At Thursday, September 08, 2016 10:33:00 PM, Blogger Isadora Gruye said...

I love the connection you make of fear and burning. This poem is highly written, no word gone to waste. Often what comes from within can be the best or worst fires. Thanks so much for posting to the Out of Standard!

 
At Thursday, September 08, 2016 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

It is unreal the power fear holds over us. Your second stanza is so powerful. Once fear strikes its match we are never sure when the fire will consume.

 
At Friday, September 09, 2016 8:14:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

Fear is a very true burn... I like how you tied this to the myths of spontaneous combustion...

 
At Friday, September 09, 2016 8:52:00 AM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

"I'm ashes in my mind" is a terrific, strong image

 
At Friday, September 09, 2016 9:01:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

I'm ashes in my mind... What an incredible line, Jim.

 
At Friday, September 09, 2016 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

"I'm ashes in my mind" is a line that really strikes me, Jim. Great write!

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2016 4:30:00 AM, Blogger jabblog said...

I feel your fear and 'ashes in my mind' is a wonderful phrase.

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2016 9:44:00 AM, Blogger Angie said...

safety for our loved ones...a burning fear and desire

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2016 1:53:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

that's a hot poem Jim; (SMILES) yet such a haunting can be no fun
Nice write

much love...

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2016 10:04:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Powerful last lines, Jim. Fear does scorch the mind.

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2016 4:12:00 AM, Blogger kaykuala said...

Such lingering fear where an inflammable material is close at hand. It'll put the chill to everyone!

Hank

 
At Monday, September 12, 2016 5:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a kid when I heard about 'spontaneous combustion' - scared me silly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home