Friday, January 20, 2017

On Poetry ~~ Wet Puppy Dog



Wet Puppy Dog

Have you ever smelled a wet puppy dog?
I can't remember when but long ago
For sure I wasn't an adult grownup
My dog had gotten wet, she smelled so good

Dry dogs don't smell that way, never ever
Some, get them wet, doggy smell of long past
Every now and then my nose gets a whiff,
Still that sweet smell with no puppy in sight

Metaphor it's become for me. Smells good
I might equate with that wet puppy dog
Be it a person or an animal  
I'll think, "Gee, you smell good, wet puppy dog"


 _ _ _

Pictures and Poem Copyright, © Jimmiehov 2014 and 2017, All Rights Reserved
 
I'm linked with






_ _ _ _

Note: [Google]  noun: metaphor; plural noun: metaphors

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
"“I had fallen through a trapdoor of depression,” said Mark, who was fond of theatrical metaphors" 
 synonyms:  figure of speech, image, trope, analogy, comparison, symbol, word painting/picture

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Friday, January 20, 2017 11:49:00 AM, Blogger Stacie Eirich said...

Jim - Oh I do love the feel of fur, even wet fur - though I prefer cats to dogs. I'm happy you shared your puppy dog tale, as all animal friends are worthy of our poems. :-) And I'm not sure any metaphor can be common or universal, though some seem to strike chords with many. Yours may be a specific one to you and your puppy, and that fits perfectly. As far as the texts I discussed, they were part of my studies that I chose to impart unto my ENG Comp students in at least one or two discussions each semester. In hindsight, perhaps this wasn't what they expected from ENG Comp, but I think their writing was improved and the richer for it. Perhaps it didn't increase my popularity as a teacher, but it did introduce poetry to students who had previously read little to none. Worth it in my books! :-) Thanks for your poem. -Stacie

 
At Friday, January 20, 2017 3:09:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

I have always associate the smell of wet dog with something less good... but I guess there is a memory of an adorable puppy with that smell helping out..

 
At Friday, January 20, 2017 5:20:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

this poem made me smile (◕‿◕。) wet puppy dog for me is agh!!! that frustration spray wettness when he shakes

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2017 6:25:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Such a wonderful take on the prompt :)

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2017 9:25:00 AM, Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said...

My older wet dog doesn't smell good. I guess only puppies do.

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2017 9:41:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

with or without shampoo? Great poem, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home