Saturday, June 10, 2017

A Prose Poem, with Buzzard help



Of what am I made?
When asked the question,
"what are you made of,"
what do you say?  

There is the old adage,
"girls are made of honey,
flowers and nice things
while boys are from pigs tales."

Thus said:  I was dropped
on a rock by a bird and
the sun hatched me. 

I'm made from that egg.
The egg, best to my knowledge
is made of whatever the bird
had been eating while she
formed it.  This goes with
"what you are is what you eat."

My mother bird, 
A buzzard**told me the other night, 
was helping eat a dead deer 
in the ditch the week before 
she laid the egg.

And dead bugs on the
way home every night.

Those stock answers hold
the answer still today. 
_ _ _ _

 - Photo and Poem Copyright © 2017 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved

 - I'm linked with, at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, “I Am Made of…” (Poetry and Flash Fiction with Magaly), http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2017/06/i-am-made-of-poetry-and-flash-fiction.html


 - Magaly's words: "I invite you to ask yourself, what am I made of? Then craft your answer into a 3-stanza poem or a very short story (of 131 words or fewer)."  I used exactly 131 words with my title and since it is prose poetry broken up into groups of short lines (not verses?).


 - **I came onto this pictured group of buzzards feeding on the dead dear while driving near Montgomery, Texas.  One from this group told of my mother bird. 

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At Saturday, June 10, 2017 8:44:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

This speaker seems to be made of a very interesting set of circumstances. ;-)

 
At Saturday, June 10, 2017 9:02:00 PM, Blogger kaykuala said...

Those stock answers hold
the answer still today.

A light-hearted way of making an entry into this world, Dr Jim. Enjoyed your humor!

Hank

 
At Sunday, June 11, 2017 3:59:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

I absolutely love this! Excellent write, Jim ❤️

 
At Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:18:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

This is one of your most engaging pieces.

 
At Sunday, June 11, 2017 12:46:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

One of my favourites of yours, Jim.......The buzzards helped tell a fine tale......

 
At Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:25:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

It's good that buzzards speak to poets. A delight to read!

Mine starts with the 'what you eat is what you are' idea, too,

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:13:00 PM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Yikes-- a very sobering look at things Really cool. Thanks. k.

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:33:00 PM, Blogger grapeling said...

ha!

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

gritty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home