Tuesday, January 23, 2018

a Poem for National Handwriting Day


Count the keys on this LARGE PRINT typewriter pictured above.

Writing Mechanics 103
 
Handwriting

I let my machine, a Dell, write for me  
That way people can read what I want to say  
 Simple writing. drawing, and coloring,
all are hand and coordination skills,
mundane, take practice, I color the best
But it's the thought to be conveyed that counts

Spelling

I spell better than my spell checker does  
Now mine is a belligerent speller,
always wanting to exhibit the new,
variations of our oft used familiar words  
Shut it off I won't, never will happen
cause I've retired my old Mr. Webster
 
Onto paper
 
Down deep I'm a clever guy, so I think
But my thoughts must surface to allure you,  
telling what's in my heart, for your pleasure 
One-room school vocabulary comes out;
paper though there is none, fingers to keys,
all into the machine and on to yours

(Tidbit:  why do we still call it "writing") 
_ _ _ _ 

.  
Photo and Poem Copyright, © 2012 and 2018 Jimmiehov respectively, All Rights Reserved

 - Photo, Large Print Typewriter taken by me, previously posted on my other blog in various places, beginning around year 2012. http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/search?q=typewriter 
 _I'm linked with Magaly Guerrero

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 23, 2018 10:54:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

My work is certainly more legible when it is spelled/spilled from a machine.

 
At Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:12:00 AM, Blogger  said...

"I color the best
But it's the thought to be conveyed that counts"

I heart this so much!!!

 
At Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:27:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I think that most of us--especially those who have had the privilege *cough* of teaching a classroom of teenagers--are as grateful as you are for the gift of typewriters and word processors.

Your bit about your spell checker made me laugh, thank you for that. I've always thought the rotten things are either possessed, or just making fun of us.

Your closing made me grin even wider.

 
At Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:36:00 AM, Blogger Bekkie Sanchez said...

I loved reading this as I feel the same now. Writing has become "hunting and pecking".

 
At Wednesday, January 24, 2018 1:29:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

I live by the spells of spellcheckers... but sometimes we agree to disagree :-)

 
At Wednesday, January 24, 2018 1:42:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Luc the spellchecks, sometimes I just freeze up on simple words

Thanks for dropping by my blog

much love...

 
At Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:23:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

Gotta have the spell check myself. I think we have grown very accustomed to technology. I am sure many people have retired their old Mr. webster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home