Sunday, February 11, 2018

Advice (if you need some) -- a Weekend Poem

  To read more about this picture from my previous writings, check
     http://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com/search?q=Nicolas+Fouquet
Headnote
This picture was taken in a museum in the cellar of the Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte mansion (southeast of Paris about 61km). Imprisonment for Money, Power, and Politics.

Poem:
To a carouser;
advice from an old timer

"I have been one acquainted with the night"**
Never one to bed early with the birds
Never one to be overcome with fright

I have been out carousing with the herds
You stay out of trouble that is the game
If ever you get stopped don't slur your words

If you are detained take care don't inflame
Say yes sir and no sir, hold in your pride  
Having your name in the paper brings shame

If they throw down please don't claim that they lied   
Rather stay cool and maintain that you're right
Go with the flow there and don't get hog tied 

If jailed call your attorney don't incite
"I have been one acquainted with the night"
 _ _ _ _ _

Disclaimer:  This is written in first person but it is not me.  It is my muse who snooped a little into way back when before I was civilized.  Still I never went jail though I did get stopped when out too late.  And I would never be in a situation to slur my words.  Some of my friends did all of this and more though.

Photo and Poem Copyright ©, 2018 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved

I am linked with Marian at The Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Fussy Little Forms: Terza Rima, http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2018/02/fussy-little-forms-terza-rima.html, where Marian introduced a form new to many, called the Terza Rima.  Writing a three line per verse poem, the rhyme scheme is ABA, BCB, CDC, ..., AA.

**Go there (link above) to read a nice Robert Burns poem using this from.  I used Burn's first and last line in my poem.  The rest is my own mess.

The photo is a PrintScreen copy of one I had previously posted with a "poem" in 2010.  For an explanation, go there:  http://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com/2010/06/one-single-impression-oubliette.html

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:10:00 PM, Blogger Vivian Zems said...

Good thing you put in that disclaimer...my jaw was dropping with increasing rapidity. A good write...very timely, scary and our new reality.

 
At Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:18:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

This started out kinda fun but then got very serious. I'm glad it's not you, but it's probably far too many. Well written!

 
At Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:28:00 PM, Blogger Marian said...

Robert Frost, Frost!! I love how you took off from his lines... and went to a different place. Yes, it really does bring shame to have your name in the police blotter... and much worse can happen. I'm curious about that photo too and will explore. Great job with a difficult form, Jim!

 
At Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:34:00 PM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

You said "acquainted" with the night but I think maybe you meant "acquitted" in the night. Just teasing. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to remember it.

 
At Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:41:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Horrifying picture - the words started out kind of fun - but as the old saying goes "It's all fun and games until...."

 
At Monday, February 12, 2018 2:19:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

That acquaintance is one type of night... chilling for some, and scary to end up like that... the picture is so scary

 
At Monday, February 12, 2018 6:12:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is absolutely incredible, Jim! Love where your muse took you with Frost! :)

 
At Monday, February 12, 2018 4:40:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Night can be so different for some over others. This is a scary truth some find themselves in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home