Thursday, May 24, 2018

a "Must Love Dogs" Poem for Thursday


 
 The dog
 
In my life I've had dogs and cats
Not many but quality counts
First I remember is August 
August is generic for him

His real name I won't say, cannot
But he's a German shepherd dog
Family dog he, I called him mine
He loved me much, perfect playmate
 
August helped with the animals
Those of Dad's on share cropped farm
He herded pigs and brought up cows
Horses' friend strictly outside dog
 
One tale I'll tell, when August bit
My older cousin chasing me
Tag game, August wanted to play
Protecting me he was excused
 
Time has passed and so did August
Bit her good -- laugh, he joined our play
 _ _ _ _  

Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2018, All Rights Reserved
  (photo is 'PrintScreen' of the header at "* * TOTAL german shepherd * *"

    http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/malepuppynames.html )

 - I'm linked with

.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Friday, May 25, 2018 12:17:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I can see him, joining in the play. And I think of your beloved Ada, too, Jim. Such lovely beings they are, these furry companions of ours. Thanks for writing to my prompt, kiddo.

 
At Friday, May 25, 2018 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Sarah Russell said...

I think our childhood dogs are the ones who live with us always. Great tribute, Jim.

 
At Friday, May 25, 2018 7:47:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Oh I had dog pets growing up in my parents home. Never had a pet as an adult. Never missed them. My granddaughter now has a pet turtle, her pride and joy
(✿◠‿◠)

much love...

 
At Friday, May 25, 2018 9:10:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

I love a dog that is also a member of the crew... If I ever got a dog i think I would love one that helped me pulling when I'm out skiing.

 
At Friday, May 25, 2018 9:38:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Our neighborhood teen has their Bassett pull him on his skateboard when the two go walking. Levi, the dog will be running at his own pace, generally a fast trot.
..

 
At Saturday, May 26, 2018 2:14:00 AM, Blogger kaykuala said...

One tale I'll tell, when August bit
My older cousin chasing me
Tag game, August wanted to play

They could help out at the chores but one could still have them together at play! How then to forget them? Difficult when emotions get entangled with it!

Hank

 

Post a Comment

<< Home